Case Studies: Mobile Fundraising and Advocacy Successes
Seeing the capabilities mobile holds, WCF embarked on its mobile strategy. It began with a mobile website that focused on simple and crisp design; intuitive navigation; an instant call to action; click-to-donate functionality; and “snack-sized” content, such as audio files.
WCF also implemented a text-to-give element for one-time donations of $5 or $10. It would then confirm donations with an automated thank-you message and provide ways to donate for other amounts below the $5 and $10 buttons, asking for personal contact info as well to add to its file.
“In addition to donations, we wanted to give information as well,” Brandin said. So WCF got some of its best, high-profile supporters — like New York Rangers goaltender Henrik Lundqvist — to record PSAs about WCF and the work it does and sent them out as MMS messages.
Moving forward in 2011, WCF is looking ramp up its mobile initiatives by implementing even more mobile programs:
- SMS donations;
- donor subscriptions;
- creative campaigns;
- campaigns with corporate sponsors;
- sending information to existing donors;
- mobile shop; and
- donor acquisition.
Reasons for going mobile
- Recruit new donors from new target groups.
- Make existing donors more active.
- Lower the barrier to donate — trigger action.
- Capture data.
- Building relationships and loyalty.
Keys to mobile success
- The mobile phone is not just a payment mechanism, it’s a device for communication … but you can talk straight to the wallet.
- Mobile phones are highly personal, so don’t be afraid to get personal and perhaps stir up emotions.
- Leverage mobile characteristics in mobile campaigns, e.g., sense of urgency or immediacy, feeling of real-time broadcasts, etc.
- Mobile integrates well with other media, so use the strengths of each. Don’t just add a short code.
- If you can do the campaign in any other channel, do it in any other channel. Use mobile when it can fulfill something no other channel can fulfill.
- People use their mobile phones to connect to social networks, so don’t forget to tap in to your ambassadors’ personal networks.