As Detroit Struggles, Foundations Shift Mission
“These are the kinds of questions we need to be asking,” Mr. Egner said.
At the Skillman Foundation, one local charity after another warns that without an infusion of cash, it will have to reduce services or shut down.
The Boys and Girls Clubs of Southeastern Michigan, for example, approached in December to say that one of its three facilities would need to be closed unless it received help from Skillman — even though the foundation had never given it money.
- Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation
- Boys and Girls Clubs of Southeastern Michigan
- Carnegie Corporation
- Detroit Hispanic Development Corporation
- Detroit Science Center
- Ford Foundation
- Ford Motor Company
- General Motors Foundation
- Hudson-Webber Foundation
- Kresge Foundation
- Matrix Human Services
- Max M. and Marjorie S. Fisher Foundation
- Michigan Opera Theatre
- Skillman Foundation
- Southwest Detroit Weed and Seed
- The McGregor Fund
- The New York Times
- University of Michigan
- Women Arise
- YouthVille Detroit