5 Ways to Commemorate National Nonprofit Day
On Aug. 17, 1894 the Tariff Act was signed into law, which included exemptions for nonprofit organizations and charitable institutions. Today, we observe Aug. 17 as National Nonprofit Day to acknowledge the positive impact that nonprofit organizations have on our local communities and around the world.
According to Giving USA, charitable giving reached an all-time high in 2017. Americans donated more than $410 billion to thousands of nonprofit organizations. As a nonprofit professional, what can you do to recognize those that give their resources to your organization? Check out these five memorable ways to celebrate National Nonprofit Day this month.
- Give Voice to Your Cause: Use the hashtag #nationalnonprofitday on your social media channels to be seen and create awareness for your organization among those who may not know about your cause, its goals and why it’s important to get involved.
- Thank Your Volunteers: To commemorate this special day of recognition, thank your volunteers for their support and call those who are regularly active and advocating on their behalf.
- Kick-Off Fall Fundraising Early: Preparing for fall fundraising activities yet? Get started now by launching a campaign with a short video that highlights results from a recent campaign and introduces a new initiative. Share it on social media, via email and on your website.
- Display a Digital Donor Wall: From major donors to small donors, every donor counts when you’re trying to scale your organization’s impact. You can display a digital donor wall on your website or on stage at your next gala fundraiser. This scrolling donor list lends recognition to those who make it possible to achieve your organization’s goals.
- Celebrate Benefactors: Whether its animals rescued, fire fighters receiving meals during a natural disaster or those recovering from a life-threatening disease; they are the reasons why your organization exists. Showcase those who have benefited from your tireless efforts in your communications, to offer greater meaning to your fundraising and engagement initiatives.
National Nonprofit Day allows us the opportunity to take a moment to recognize the positive impact that charitable organizations make on our society. We can all contribute in small (and big) ways by volunteering, sharing our talents, donating money or simply sharing a cause with friends and family. Whatever you decide to do to commemorate National Nonprofit Day, thank you for all the ways you make an impact in our communities.
Christy Noel is the VP of digital marketing services at MobileCause, where she is responsible for creating, driving and delivering programs to help MobileCause customers and partners advance their marketing and fundraising objectives. Christy is a versatile executive with over 20 years of global branding, operations, communications, sales and marketing experience.