Deadlines for Nonprofits and Fundraisers Approaching
Fellows Program Empowers Young Nonprofit Leaders
Independent Sector is calling all young nonprofit leaders looking to magnify their impact through dynamic collaboration with their peers to apply for the American Express NGen Fellows Program. Twelve young professionals under age 40 from Independent Sector member organizations will be selected to the fellows program and receive complimentary registration and lodging for the 2009 Annual Conference held in Detroit Nov. 3 to 6.
At the conference, fellows will collaborate with other talented young leaders, interact with established mentors through tailored online and in-person programming and special networking opportunities, and participate in Independent Sector's work on nonprofit leadership.
In addition to attending the main conference, program fellows also will:
participate in a pre-conference retreat, tailored to their interests and experiences;
- be recognized at the opening plenary;
- have special opportunities for interaction with IS's key leaders and partners before, during and after the conference;
- contribute as key members of conference FutureLab discussions about the trends and issues influencing the future of the nonprofit community; and
- engage in a post-conference strategy session to develop plans for ongoing work in 2010.
The application — which is due by Aug. 14 — requires candidates to submit three references, an uploaded resume and answers to the following three short essay questions:
- Describe a current project that best speaks to your capacity for leadership and long-term impact in advancing the public good,
- How does your past and current work in the nonprofit sector connect with your future plans?
- If selected as an Independent Sector NGen Fellow, what would you hope to get out of the program? What would you hope to uniquely contribute to the program and to a potential Fellows project?
Colleagues also can nominate an emerging leader who they believe should apply for the fellows program here. After the nomination is received, Independent Sector will notify the nominee of the nomination and suggest that he or she apply.