“What do you need to listen for and why?
* How do your supporters (and potential supporters) view your organization? Is it positive or negative?
* What are they saying about your organization?
* What do they think about your issue area?
* What do they like or dislike about your program or service?
* How are their preferences changing?
* How are technologies and social trends impacting your supporters?
* What ideas might they offer for new services or marketing/fundraising campaigns?
* How is the conversation around your organization, issue area, or program changing?
* Who are the influential voices in the social media space covering your issue area or topical domain?”
— June 6, “Liz Strauss and Chris Brogan Share Some Thoughts About Social Media Listening: I’m All Ears” posted by Beth Kanter on Beth’s Blog: How Nonprofits Can Use Social Media.