So, Uh, Are We Doing This Right?
Testing and results measurement were much easier in the pre-multichannel days of fundraising. It’s tougher now, but equally as important — if not more so.
In this process, you must try to determine how you could separate responses by source of solicitation including:
- distinct toll-free numbers for each direct-response solicitation;
- distinct landing page URLs for each direct-response solicitation;
- coded reply devices for direct-mail solicitations;
- coded reply devices for special event solicitations;
- coded reply devices for public speaking engagements; and/or
- business rules regarding time frames of responses and ZIP or geographic codes of donors for public relations activities, local events, DRTV, display advertising.
2. Once you have your coding and database, you can develop test scenarios. Here are some examples: