In her nomination, Shauna Stonehocker, events coordinator at the Idaho Foodbank, lists Adrienne Swain Smith's years of development and leadership experience, starting as far back as leading Sen. Orrin Hatch's nonprofit charity, the Utah Families Foundation, in 1996. Her work since then has, indeed, been impressive.
Since taking over at her current position in 2009, Adrienne "has demonstrated her commitment to fundraising and service, and made an immediate impact on increasing the level of individual, corporate and foundation giving." Among her recent accomplishments, Adrienne:
- secured the largest one-time individual donation in Idaho Foodbank's more than 25-year history;
- worked with the donor of that gift to secure another donation of the same amount for a sister food bank that serves the Idaho Panhandle;
- created an innovative, first-ever partnership with an Idaho-based gasoline retailer to donate fuel in-kind for Idaho Foodbank's transportation vehicles to increase delivery frequency and reach in Idaho;
- partnered with a major institutional food wholesaler to arrange monetary and in-kind donations to augment Idaho Foodbank's fleet of delivery trucks;
- through cold calls, networking, on-site tour invitations and donor database mining, grew numerous historic four-figure annual donors to six-figure contributors;
- learned about a national foundation's matching grant opportunity while talking with a donor and, with only 10 days to meet the deadline, leveraged contacts and relationships to locally raise the maximum available for matching grant money by the foundation;
- increased Idaho Foodbank event-based revenue by 40 percent year over year by reducing expenses through volunteer labor and in-kind donations while successfully identifying and soliciting major sponsors whose values aligned with the mission of Idaho Foodbank.
Stonehocker calls Adrienne "an experienced, passionate and tireless advocate for caused-related fundraising that connects donors, corporate partners, private foundations, government entities and national organizations to support worthwhile causes in a professional and personal manner."
Related story: Show Us the Love!