'The Tears That Come From Our Eyes Actually Come From Our Hearts'
I also love fundraisers, and this video made me think of y'all and the glorious work you do, and it reminded me again of how proud I am to be a part of it (if just peripherally) through FundRaising Success.
Some notes from this TED talk:
- Global mortality rates for children age 5 and under are down by more than 7,000 children per day. That's more than 7,000 children's lives saved each day. "Have you read anything, anywhere, in the last week that is remotely as important as that number?"
- The percent of the global population living under "back-breaking poverty" (on less than $1.25 a day) has been cut in half since 1990 (down to 21 percent from 42 percent).
- If things stay on that trajectory, the number of people living on less than $1.25 a day can reach the zero zone by 2030. "The zero zone. For number crunchers like us, that is the erogenous zone."
- "We can't get this done until we believe we can get this done."
- The biggest disease of all is not a disease; it's corruption. And there is an antidote to corruption; it's transparency."
- "You can delete the cliched image of supplicant, impoverished peoples not taking control of their own lives. You can erase that, you really can, because it's not true anymore."
- "We are going to win because we don't understand politics. We are going to win because we don't play their dirty games. We are going to win because we don't have a party political agenda. We are going to win because the tears that come from our eyes actually come from our hearts. We are going to win because we have dreams and we're willing to stand up for those dreams." ~ Wael Ghonim