Critical Elements of a Major-Gifts Officer Job Description
There are several key values here. The major purpose is to secure funds, NOT make impressions or deal with volunteers or be a community activist or a whole load of other baloney that I read in most job descriptions. Raise money. Period. Then it's about raising money from an assigned group of qualified donors. Then two other values: retention and upgrading. That's it. No other purpose.
Approximate hours per week required by position
You have to put this in here, and you really have to set up an expectation for travel here. Remember, the MGO function is about being out of the office — travel. I can't tell you how many MGOs really expect not to travel. So, you need to set an expectation.
Benefits of this position
Here's the reason this goes in here. It's important to tell the prospective employee what you believe the benefits of doing the job are. Read carefully. Here is what I say: "The benefit of this position will be the satisfaction of helping donors fulfill their passions and interests through their giving to (name of organization)." Hmmmm. Notice I don't mention money. It is about helping the donor realize her interests and passions. This is important.
Now we finally get to the major categories of work. I usually restrict this list to no more than five main categories and the required "catch-all" category as follows:
- Will qualify a group of caseload donors.
- Will create individual goals for each person on his or her caseload based on the donor's history of giving and the organization's knowledge of that donor's potential.
- Will create a plan for each donor that will serve as a foundational communication and marketing plan for each person on the caseload. Will faithfully and on a timely basis execute that plan so individuals on the caseload are retained and upgraded.
- Will work with program and the communications department to secure appropriate project information, including budgets, and create offers, proposals and asks that will be used with persons on the caseload to secure gifts.
- Will create monthly reports as required by management that accurately reflect caseload activity and performance.
- Will perform other major donor activities as may be required.