Fundraising Professionals of the Year Look Back: 2013 Fundraiser of the Year
[Editor's note: The submission period for the 2014 Fundraising Professionals of the Year Awards is now open, with the winners announced in the February issue of FundRaising Success. Leading up to the awards, FS will highlight past winners.]
Amanda Lipsey joined the Adventure Cycling staff in May 2011. In 2012, her efforts, innovation and hard work culminated in a substantial increase in development revenue since 2010 (from $407,806 in 2010 to $506,649 in 2011 and $795,007 in 2012).
According to Arlen Hall, tours director for the Adventure Cycling Association, Amanda organized and successfully conducted a capital campaign to raise the difference between reserve funds earmarked for a building renovation and the total cost of the renovation. The campaign raised more than $250,000, which allowed the organization to complete the renovation without taking on any debt. Through the campaign, she also created a major-donor circle, the Founders Circle, and worked with a professional recognition company to create a special art piece to recognize major donors.
Amanda has improved the organization’s direct-mail appeals by taking a more heartfelt and direct approach with donors both in content and design of appeals, Hall says. “She has increased our work with the for-profit bicycle industry and corporate partners, and built and grown personal relationships between major donors and Adventure Cycling.
To nominate a peer, colleague, co-worker, employee, staff member, volunteer, client or agency partner for the 2014 Fundraising Professionals of the Year Awards, just send an e-mail to email@example.com with "FOTY nomination" in the subject line, and include the following information:
- Nominee's name, organization, title and e-mail address
- Your contact information
- A photo of the nominee, if possible
- Category of nomination
- Explanation of why you are nominating this person (500 to 1,000 words)
This year's categories are:
- Lifetime Achievement — For a body of work over the course of 30+ years
- Fundraising Professional of the Year — For specific fundraising achievements in 2013
- Fundraising Stars — For a body of work, a compelling project or special circumstance, an overall attitude or approach, etc.
- Rising Stars — Up-and-comers with fewer than five years in the sector
- Live It! Award — For fundraisers who champion causes and support philanthropy in their personal lives
- Best Fundraising Blog
- Best Industry Speaker
There's no fee to make a nomination, and the nomination deadline is Jan. 13, 2014.