10 Secrets to Acquire Donors Online via Digital Technology
It's a good way to drive traffic by engaging with supporters and followers.
8. Get mobile fast!
"When I say get mobile, I'm not talking about text-to-give. I'm talking about how your website formats," Jones said.
Websites these days must be mobile-enabled, aka responsively designed. Make sure it can include display ads on current mobile websites.
This is important because mobile search has shown massive growth as smartphone use has increased. More than 50 percent of local searches are done on mobile phones, and the emergence of fourth generation networks has enabled rapid growth in the mobile channel.
9. Use Web analytics
"If you're not using Google Analytics, the e-commerce version, you're making a big mistake," Jones said.
- Are often free
- Can capture real-time and actionable data about your current and potential donors
- Measure how users interact with your website and allow you to make adjustments based on that data
- Segment visitors by how they reached your site
- Track visitors all the way through conversion (revenue)
- RFM+ — Use recorded Web activity in segmentation for appeals and mail deeper if they've recently visited your site.
10. Use email benchmarks strategies
Email response rates are very low compared to direct-mail response rates, Jones said, and there's lots of reasons for that: People ignore hyperlinks, use search engines, activate SPAM folders, etc.
In order to optimize email, you must understand your own email audience. Do an email audit and embark on email list-building and segmentation, Jones said.
Integrating email efforts with other channels is the optimal strategy. Every appeal you do should have an email companion, Jones said.