Industry Opinion: Why I'm Optimistic About Blackbaud's Acquisition of Convio
- How long will systems integration take? Months or years?
- What will the product and service offering be? How will existing customers be treated with regard to potential new, integrated services?
- Will the acquisition (and subsequent integration timeline) actually slow down NPO buying decisions? This would be understandable, although a shame in my book — there is simply too much need to delay our pursuit of mission.
- How will the two company cultures mix together? From my experience, they aren't the same.
- Closer to my world, how will the new Blackbaud work with partners? Both companies have had evolving partner strategies — how will they work with companies like mine?
- Which companies and technologies will emerge as the clear second alternative?
We'll probably all have a lot to debate and wonder about in the next few weeks. Still, when it all comes down to it, I think this is a great move for the space. We're all trying to change the world — and the work is so, so difficult. To quote Jane Fonda, "Instead of safety nets we need to trampolines and ladders." Anything that can help us jump forward more quickly toward a better world is welcome in my book. I think this acquisition can do that — and so to my friends in Charleston and Austin, I say: We're counting on you. Let us know how we can help.