Top Brands Turn to Gather's Free New 'Gather Groups' Platform to Create Social Networks
BOSTON, March 25, 2009 — Gather (www.gather.com), the social network with substance, announced that three of the country's top brands -- Showtime Networks Inc., Atkins, and American Public Media -- have created their own customized social networks on Gather, leveraging Gather's new free groups service. These brands join hundreds of other organizations -- from prominent national companies to local nonprofits -- that have turned to Gather to share exclusive content, engage in conversations with consumers, and create special events such as live talks and promotions.
Atkins Nutritionals, Inc. has just joined Gather as a strategic partner launching a customized Gather group with content and tips for healthy living. Atkins leaders will use the group to answer questions and engage in conversations about weight loss and healthy eating.
American Public Media is using Gather Groups(SM) for its Public Insight Journalism network, a community of over 40,000 active citizen journalists sharing personal perspectives on national and local news. American Public Media kicked off the Gather group partnership with a community for Minnesota Public Radio's Minnesota Economy citizen journalist bloggers.
"People are looking for ways to have meaningful conversation online about the things that matter to them," said Tom Gerace, Gather CEO. "Gather is pleased to join forces with our partners to extend their conversations to custom social spaces."
Launched in February, Gather's free groups service makes it easy for anyone to create a social network, with template designs that meet the needs of brands, bloggers, families, and special interest groups. Gather Groups templates can be easily customized with photos, posts, discussion spaces, videos, widgets, and graphics. Each social space can be as public or private as the creator desires.
Key features of Gather Groups include:
* Customizable group appearance to give owner layout and design control
* Fourteen configurable modules that allow content organization and conversation
* Three rich HTML modules that allow for creativity and customization
* Group Conversation Space for group members to share comments
* Group Stats updates on new members, photos, comments, posts
* Group Archive for access to 12 months of shared group content
* Group Links, where owners can list up to 50 links to favorite sites
* Inbound RSS feeds from other sites
* Group Search that allows people to search a group for members and content