Tips and Strategies to Enhance Your Homepage
In a Convio-sponsored webinar at the end of May, Lacey Kruger and Don Roach, senior interactive architect and art director, respectively, at Convio, shared tips and strategies that can help organizations enhance their homepages to maximize engagement.
Kruger and Roach said organizations should focus on the following three main objectives:
1. Engage visitors immediately when they land on your homepage by offering focused content.
An effective homepage should:
Tell visitors who you are and why you exist. Roach and Kruger said 93 percent of homepages don't provide taglines that explicitly summarize what the site or organization does. Try a short, direct tagline or focused imagery. Start by asking yourself, "What are we trying to accomplish with our site?" and make sure your homepage provides an answer.
Include updated, current content. Your homepage should be updated at least once a month. Opt for a modular design so features can easily be swapped out. Save graphics and featured content in reusable components after you pull them from the homepage for later use and easier maintenance.
Opt for breadth over depth. Your homepage is your organization's "10-second elevator speech," so provide basic information efficiently. Include a featured promotion area, latest news, and one to two clear calls to action. Include substance on your homepage, but don't overwhelm visitors with content. "Read more" links are a great way to do this. Try to keep the content "above the fold" so visitors can view all of your content when they first land on the homepage without scrolling.
- prominent, action-oriented navigation, plus a clear, concise left navigation;
- opportunities for constituent log-in and personalization;
- entry points for major audiences; and
- a visual representation of the culture and mission of the organization.
2. Provide opportunities for visitors to begin a relationship with your organization on your homepage.