Influence/impact: This mailing has been used as an example to inspire fundraisers around the world.
Results: In his half-hour lightening tour of direct-mail fundraising, Bernard Ross had neglected to tell Nadia what levels of response to expect. That first mailing brought in a response of 40 percent. But Nadia was devastated. What had happened to the other 60 percent? Why hadn't they responded?
Those of us who habitually struggle to achieve just 1 percent in acquisition mailings can only gape in awe.
Merits: To succeed in this competitive world, fundraisers need to be enterprising, imaginative, learned, skillful and courageous. In launching this mailing Weber showed all these attributes and more. She's set a fine example that all fundraisers should aspire to follow. FS