My Secrets to a Fabulous Party!
3. Give VIPs special encouragement to come. If you want some certain VIPs to attend your event, then make sure they come. They may be reluctant to attend for various reasons. Perhaps they don't have a date or escort. Or maybe they don't like driving at night. Or they are shy.
Call them up and say:
- "I have someone special I want you to meet at our party."
- "I have a terrific table for you."
- "Our 'party van' will come pick you up."
I love the idea of a party van picking up important guests. The Museum of Art in North Carolina once used a corporate jet to travel around the state and pick up key guests. You might not have access to a corporate jet, but I bet you could get hold of a van, or even your own car.
Just extend a very personal invitation follow-up to your VIPs, and make sure they come!
STAGE TWO: AT THE EVENT
1. Right-sized venue. Be sure your room or venue is not too big! Nothing is worse than a huge room that swallows your crowd. The energy will dissipate, and it will feel like nothing's going on. I'd rather have a room that's too small than have one that's too big. When the room is crowded with people, it feels like something is really happening!
2. Turn down the lights. Nothing is worse that bright lights glaring above. Nothing ruins the atmosphere of a party more than overly bright lighting. Turn the darn lights down, and create a sense of mood and atmosphere. At our age we all look better in lower light anyway. 🙂
3. Abundant food and drink. Never, never, never be the event that ran out of food or booze. Have the food tables look abundant. Your fare doesn't have to be fancy at all, but it needs to be ample and look attractive.