Power Shift: Succeeding Online in a Donor Centric World
He said there are three different organizational structures:
- Centralized, where all staff for online programs is consolidated within a single department.
- Decentralized, where staff for online programs is spread across the organization in different departments.
- Hybrid, where staff is mostly consolidated within a single department but there are also others outside the department.
Centralized is the best performing structure, Bhagat said, noting the following key staffing takeaways:
- Know the blind spots of your existing structure and work hard to compensate.
- Centralize/concentrate your online staff where possible.
- Location of decision ownership appears to matter.
- Take planning seriously; define goals, accountability and communication scheme.
- Be mindful of the diverse skills required, and fill gaps through training and/or outsourcing.