MySpace Best Practices for Nonprofit Organizations
1. Use your blog to inspire support and action.
2. Post a blog announcing your MySpace Group.
3. Post a blog asking your Friends to create a fundraising page for your organization.
4. When posting blogs, use the “Tell us what ...” and “Current Mood” functions.
5. Post a blog titled, “If we are in your top friends, please let us know!”
6. Use the html function when posting blogs.
7. Promote your MySpace blog using RSS.
1. Invest the time and energy in acquiring Friends.
2. Feature 40 Top Friends.
3. Update your Friend Status two or three times a week.
1. Create a MySpace Group for your organization.
1. Add the My Favorite Nonprofits App.
2. Add the iThink App.
1. Link to your MySpace profile on your organization’s Web site.
2. Be thankful!
3. Embrace the chaos that is MySpace.
4. Back up your MySpace html code.
5. Let go of your fear of MySpace!
6. Do not put your profile on Private.
7. Don’t waste your time with introduction e-mails.
8. Pressure Top Artists on MySpace to support nonprofit organizations.
9. Use MySpace to drive individuals to your e-advocacy campaigns.
10. Put your MySpace URL in your e-mail signature.
11. Use MySpace to build your e-newsletter mailing list.
12. Disable the “Require CAPTCHA” for Friend Requests, e-mail and Comments.
13. Get a social-networking intern/volunteer.
14. Use the MySpace Calendar.
Related story: It’s for You!