How to Get to the Top
Following are some things to keep in mind if you want to rise to the top of your field -- whether in nonprofit fundraising or any other field -- and a few caveats about how to stay there once you do.
How to get to the top
1. Don’t work for anyone or anything you don’t admire.
2. If you aren’t excited about your job or your field, change jobs or fields.
3. Don’t be afraid to fail.
4. Do every possible job in your company -- at least briefly.
5. Be 100 percent dependable; do what you promise -- and on time.
6. Find mentors; watch them carefully/
7. Join professional organizations and be active.
8. Volunteer for assignments and committees.
9. Write/speak whenever you can.
10. Contribute time and money.
11. Dress and act like the job you want, but don’t act phony.
12. Learn to say no appropriately, but don’t ever say no to opportunity.
13. Never slam doors. Never.
When you get to the top
1. Be generous with praise and credit.
2. Always keep your word.
3. Be fair.
4. Mentor others.
5. Learn to delegate, but be willing to do anything.
6. Remember where you came from -- everyone else will.
7. Keep doing the things you did to get to the top.
Kay Lautman is president of the Washington, D.C.-based Lautman & Co., a consulting firm specializing in member and donor development for nonprofit organizations. www.lautmandc.com