Getting to and Through the Four Phases of a Capital Campaign
Ways to publicize the campaign include running stories in the local paper and putting a visual chart -- a lot of organizations use the thermometer image -- to show the campaign’s progress.
The public phase is a good time to hold fundraising events and, if it’s a building campaign, the organization can walk donors and potential donors through the space so they can get a feel for the reality of the organization’s goal. Sylvia notes though that organizations should strive to articulate their need for funds in a way that shows how the completed project will affect people’s lives.
“Buildings are great, but what are you going to do in the buildings, what are you going to put in the buildings? How are they going to affect an individual’s life? How are they going to make an impact? That’s truly what donors want to know, so you always have to put it in human terms,” she says.
3) Wrap up. When the organization has raised 90 percent of its goal, it’s time for the wrap-up phase, the hardest part of the campaign, Sylvia says. To get the remaining 10 percent of your goal, she recommends recruiting a donor to do a challenge grant where he or she matches every gift given dollar for dollar. Other incentives include putting smaller $100 to $500 donors’ names on bricks on a sidewalk or terrace that’s a part of the build.
4) Announcement of completion. When the campaign goal is met, Sylvia says, an organization should announce it loud and clear to the public. Throw a big party and thank all of your donors.
“You let the community know that you successfully raised the money that you wanted to raise, and that’s an important part of the public relations and the visibility of your organization as well because it positions your organization as a successful nonprofit that can raise a significant amount of money in a capital campaign,” she adds.