Five Keys to Annual Campaign Success
May 16, 2006
By Abny Santicola, editor, FS Advisor
Clancy Imislund is managing director of The Midnight Mission, a Los Angeles-based organization that serves the homeless population by providing showers, clothing, shelter, meals and other services.
Imislund was raising funds through an annual campaign long before The Midnight Mission ever had a formal office of development, and the organization has continued to use his successful system.
Here, Imislund's top five tips to raising funds through annual campaigns.
1) Always personalize solicitation and acknowledgment letters.
2) When possible, always personally sign letters -- especially to those donors with whom you have established relationships.
3) Acknowledge all contributions and include a little handwritten postscript, e.g., "Your support has made a world of difference for so many people. I truly appreciate your help."
4) Always invite donors to tour your facility or have a cup of coffee.
5) Never solicit gifts in a thank-you letter. Let a thank-you letter simply say thank you.
Clancy Imislund can be reached via www.midnightmission.org