A Silver Lining Foundation Receives Grant From Komen Chicago Affiliate
Chicago, IL, May 2012—The Chicagoland Area Affiliate of Susan G. Komen for the Cure® has awarded a $75,000 grant for the third consecutive year to A Silver Lining Foundation (ASLF) to fund screening mammograms, diagnostic mammograms, ultrasounds, and biopsies to women who otherwise may not have been able to afford the proper testing.
ASLF has ensured cancer resource information, treatment options, support, and mammograms services to thousands of Chicagoans since its founding in 2002. Foundation head Dr. Sandy Goldberg has made it her mission to offer cost-free mammograms to every undeserved individual in need of this potentially lifesaving testing. Grants such as this will help ASLF expand awareness of the importance of early detection and access to mammography to women (and men) in the greater Chicagoland area at one of the foundation’s seven partner hospitals.
Susan G. Komen for the Cure is the world’s largest breast cancer organization, and the Chicagoland Area Affiliate is one of 122 Affiliates on the front lines dedicated to ending breast cancer in their communities. Komen Affiliates fund innovative programs that help women and men overcome the cultural, social, educational and financial barriers to breast cancer screening and treatment.
“We are elated to award grants to 17 organizations in the Chicagoland community,” said Michael Ziener, Executive Director of Komen Chicago. “Our Grantees are truly making a difference in the fight against breast cancer helping the uninsured and underinsured in the underserved communities.”
About A Silver Lining Foundation
Founder and Chairman Sandy Goldberg created A Silver Lining Foundation in 2002 to ensure that socioeconomic status never affects an individual's ability to obtain information, timely cancer screenings and/or diagnosis. The mission of ASLF is to provide dignified, respectful and equal access to quality breast cancer education and services for all, by creating meaningful partnerships with community, advocacy and healthcare organizations. For more information visit www.asilverliningfoundation.org or call 312-345-1322. Find them on Twitter @ASLF2002 and on Facebook at “A Silver Lining Foundation.”
About Susan G. Komen for the Cure® and the Komen Chicagoland Affiliate
Nancy G. Brinker promised her dying sister, Susan G. Komen, she would do everything in her power to end breast cancer forever, and in 1982, that promise became Susan G. Komen for the Cure. The Chicagoland Area Affiliate is part of the world’s largest and most progressive grassroots network fighting breast cancer. Through events like the Komen Chicago Race for the Cure, the Chicagoland Area Affiliate has invested nearly $12.5 million in community breast cancerprograms in 5-counties. Up to 75 percent of net proceeds generated by the Affiliate stays in the Chicagoland Area. The remaining 25 percent funds national breast cancer research. For more information, call 773-444-0061 orvisit www.komenchicago.org