5 Key Steps to Taking Your Video Viral
3. Determine where to put the video
Do you need video hosting or video distribution? For example, Vimeo is a video-hosting service. Hoffman said the quality is very good, but Vimeo doesn't have the audience that YouTube has. YouTube can host video and distribute it to a large audience.
Hoffman said there are three key benefits to using YouTube:
- It's the biggest video-hosting site.
- It functions as a social network.
- It has increased capabilities, e.g., HD and annotations (a way to add interactive commentary to videos).
He also recommended using TubeMogul, a free service that can be used to upload a video to the top video-sharing sites all at once, and it also provides analytics on who views which videos and how.
But while YouTube is an asset, nonprofits should be sure to also host all of the videos they create on their own Web sites. Hoffman said doing your own video hosting offers the following benefits:
- More pleasant user experience, which equals more video views.
- Better search functionalities.
- Discussion within the community.
- CMS integration means staff and users can embed video more easily.
4. Get started
Hoffman suggested starting in the following five places:
- Create a YouTube channel.
- Distribute to existing networks (Web site, e-mail, social networks).
- Create relationships with bloggers and others in your niche.
- Reach out to partners.
- Make it easy to share.
Viral video organic seeding can be done via:
- E-mail — With a current list or renting a list.
- SEO — If you have good SEO, more people can find your video. And remember, whatever page on your Web site has the video gets more links and higher ranking in search.
- Provide content to relevant blogs.
- Facebook application and groups.
- Twitter — Track results of retweets.
Viral video paid seeding can be done through:
- YouTube — Paying to be the featured video.
- Adwords — Google search.
- Facebook ads.
- Video-seeding vendors.
5. Test and learn
And cultivate. Hoffman stressed that the more customized the cultivation is to the way prospects and donors came in the door (e.g., by viewing one of your videos), the more effective it will be.