Modeling — Taking it Straight from the Experts (Part 1)
It started several weeks ago. I missed a call with the panel of people preparing for a FundRaising Success webinar. Well, I wasn’t there to stick up for myself, and we all know what that means. I got the topic that no one wanted — yep, I got assigned the topic of modeling relative to how the nonprofit industry is pushing toward integrated, multichannel marketing.
Of course, my topic was only supposed to last 10 minutes and it went perfectly, but in the meantime I just had this nagging feeling that I needed to dig deeper. The more I thought about it, the more I wanted to know what the experts were thinking in this area — so I decided to just ask! For the most part, what is in this article are direct comments/quotes from the folks that I believe are the brightest and the best in our industry around this topic.
I asked four questions of each of these people.
- Richard Becker, president, Target Analytics
- Jeff Birkner, director of marketing intelligence and strategy, Eleventy Marketing Group
- Caity Craver, CEO, DonorTrends
- Jim Emlet , principal and co-owner, Integral
- John Ernst, chief strategy officer, nonprofit, Paradysz
- Brent Eskew, executive vice president, Wiland Direct
- Yannis Kotziagkiaouridis, vice president, market analytics, Merkle
- Gretchen Littlefield, president, InfoGroup Nonprofit
- Chuck Longfield, chief scientist, Blackbaud
- Curt Swindoll, executive vice president, strategy, Pursuant
- Andy Wilder, vice president, analytics consulting group, Epsilon
(Today’s post presents their comments on the first two questions. Check back tomorrow for the rest!)
On some topics there was very similar thinking, on others —not so much. But hands down, the perspective from every one of these individuals/agencies is worth the read as everyone in our industry tries to understand how to be better marketers and fundraisers.
1. When thinking through all the challenges the nonprofit industry is facing these days, where do you think modeling can be the most helpful?